Group of Outdoor Climbers Looking For Introductory Caving

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Group of Outdoor Climbers Looking For Introductory Caving

Postby thegnord » Nov 11, 2021 10:56 am

Hi All,

I am new here. So happy to find your forum, thanks for having me! I'll first say I did search for words like "beginner" and "introductory," but I didn't see any thread like this so please allow me to start this one. I represent a small group of about a dozen outdoor climbers, based in Washington DC. We can all confidently trad climb, and belay, outdoors on easier routes. A few of us are more experienced and can lead.

We hope to use our basic climbing skills to try out caveing, but in a way that is more challenging and advanced than simply going on a "walking tour" of a cave, like we have all done in the past. We want to really get down in there and go somewhere that requires a few ropes.

Can anyone recommend resources for us to start? What are the best caves within driving distance of Washington, DC? Are there are posts or articles we should check out? Are there guides we can hire for this?
thegnord
Infrequent Poster

Re: Group of Outdoor Climbers Looking For Introductory Cavin

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 11, 2021 3:46 pm

There are a number of local chapters of the NSS (called "grottos") in the DC area. Here's a link to all of the grottos. You can reach out to them and find ones that might fit your bill:

https://caves.org/committee/i-o/grottos/grottos.shtml

Good luck, have fun, be safe!
:grin:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Re: Group of Outdoor Climbers Looking For Introductory Cavin

Postby thegnord » Nov 13, 2021 8:46 am

Check, thanks!
thegnord