Research Money Available

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Research Money Available

Postby ohiocaver » Nov 8, 2018 11:01 am

Each year, the Cleveland Grotto (NSS-005) Science Fund makes available grants for cave-related science projects through its Science Fund. The Grotto anticipates making three to six grants of various amounts to projects by members of NSS-affiliated grottoes, researchers, students and other qualified individuals. The Science Grants are intended to support scientific or survey projects – not cave cleanups, philanthropic caving programs, or other worthy, but non-scientific cave endeavors. While some preference is given to cave projects that involve Ohio and neighboring states, grants are also given to projects across the country and world.
Grant funds are typically allocated to a Foundation, University, NSS Grotto, or other entity to serve as an administrator the funds to the individual(s) receiving the grant, and the publication of project results (journal article, survey map, etc.) or presentation of the data at a conference, with credit to the Cleveland Grotto Science Fund for its support, is expected as a result of all projects. Grant awards may be for the full or partial amount of the funds originally requested, pending review by the Science Grant Committee and the Cleveland Grotto board.
The 2018 application deadline for the general caving community is December 30. It is expected that the Science Grant Committee will make its evaluations and recommendations to the Cleveland Grotto Board by January 30, 2019, and that the Board will determine and announce grant awards by its February meeting. Information on the grant application process, as well as application forms are available at: http://clevelandgrotto.org/ClevelandGro ... eFund.html
We encourage all interested individuals with worthy projects to apply.
:waving:
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Re: Research Money Available

Postby arthurnottheking » Dec 5, 2019 6:02 am

Hi Curt,

Just wanted to update the reference to the Science Fund, cause theabove page is not working. I'm currently preparing for the conference - KWI Frontiers in Karst: Sulfuric Acid Weathering which will be in June 2020. My professor wants me to continue my research on the Sulfuric Acid Speleogenesis: microbial karst.

Arthur
arthurnottheking
Infrequent Poster

Postby ohiocaver » Dec 13, 2019 7:54 pm

The link should be working: http://clevelandgrotto.org/ClevelandGro ... _Fund.html
This year's deadline is December 30. The application is a simple 1- or 2-page deal.
We've got several applications already--from Ohio, Cuba, and Pennsylvania that I know of...perhaps more.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby arthurnottheking » Feb 7, 2020 6:21 am

The first reference is not working and I see now why: there's a typos: it should be "Science_Fund" not "ScienceFund".
arthurnottheking
Infrequent Poster

Postby FreightTrain » Feb 17, 2020 9:17 am

I'd like to study whether or not cave club truancy could be decreased by having an accredited Zymurgist assist in post-exploration recovery process. Should I apply for funding?
FreightTrain
Infrequent Poster

Postby arthurnottheking » Feb 18, 2020 2:43 am

FreightTrain wrote:
@cheapessaywriter
I'd like to study whether or not cave club truancy could be decreased by having an accredited Zymurgist assist in post-exploration recovery process. Should I apply for funding?

I would certainly go for it. You never lose anything, when you fill out an application.
arthurnottheking
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum